Saturday 8 March 2014

Spirit at Göteborgsoperan


Still Saturday March 8th. I got to Göteborgsoperan at 5PM (after Sirénfestivalen) and managed to get THE LAST TICKET to the premiere of the contemporary dance show “Spirit”. I had seen videos on their webpage, which intrigued me to the point that I was prepared to pay a full prize of 320 Swedish crowns (35€) for getting a ticket. And it was totally worth it! I saw the most magnificent and breathtaking dance performance I have seen in my life so far!!! I can’t find words to describe how wonderful it was!!!

The show Spirit consisted of two halves. Because I liked the first half much more, I will begin with telling about the second half. The second half of Spirit was the show “Metamorphosis”. The Japanese choreograph Saburo Teshigawara had made his Metamorphosis  to music by Messiaen and Ravel. The choreography was quite raw with primitive movements/body language. It felt like the dancers were mainly doing the cliché “wrenching and struggling” movements, which lately have been in most contemporary dance shows. The show was quite good, but not as good as the first half, and the tempo felt slow.

The first half was a creation by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui called Noetic. The show was created to music by Szymon Brzóska, in cooperation with the sculptor Antony Gormley and the fashion designer duo Les Hommes. The show was simply perfect! It was visually, intellectually, structurally, emotionally and in every way just perfect! The dance choreography was original and elegant, it was very good at both positioning people on stage as well as interesting movements on a “close up” perspective. The visual ideas of Gormley were simply fantastic! He used simple things like black rings and stripes for creating visual enrichment. I recommend you to have a look at the videos you can find under this link! And last but not least, the elegant and beautiful clothes in black and white by Les Hommes made the whole visual impression complete. I have no words to describe how wonderful this experience was! I recommend EVERYONE who in any way has a possibility to go to Gothenburg to go and see this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment