Saturday 31 May 2014

Recollection - Matei Gheorghiu's Concert

Saturday May 31st. After handing in my compositions for my final exam last Tuesday I can’t really remember very much. I think I have mainly been "dead"? Anyway, today my rabbit Viljo moved to our summer cottage. We took a train together from Tampere to Helsinki, and of course I had to take an obligatory “Traveling with my rabbit”-selfie. My father was so nice and got Viljo (and my other luggage as well) from the train station and brought him straight to our summer cottage.


My rabbit Viljo and me traveling from Tampere to Helsinki by train. 31.5.2014


After this I met up with my friend Leo and we went and looked at my friend Matei Gheorghiu’s composition concert. The concert took place at “Balderin sali” on Aleksanterinkatu and he organized it together with the photographer
Octavian Balea and painter (artist) Elina Nissinen, so an interartproject in it’s full meaning.

The concert was structured with some arrangements of Mussorgsky’s “pictures at an art exhibition” for two accordions, that were played in between Matei’s own pieces.

The programme of the concert Recollection 31.5.2014 was:

Matei Gheorghiu: Experiment for 2 accordions
Modest Musorgski: Pictures in an exhibition – Gnomes  (accordion)*
Matei Gheorghiu: Piano Sonata no. 2**
Modest Musorgski: Pictures in an exhibition – Old Castle (accordion)*
Matei Gheorghiu: Ihana surullinen ilta (soprano and piano)***
Modest Musorgski: Pictures in an exhibition: Market place (accordion)*
Matei Gheorghiu: Ratio Spei and Good Freedom (French horn and piano) **

* Projections of artworks by Elina Nissinen
** Projections of photographs by Octavian Balea
*** Live-painting by Elina Nissinen and Octavian Balea
________________________________________________

Break: Nissinen exhibition in the cafeteria
________________________________________________

Little Memory Stories

- Text and photographs by Balea
- Musical direction and performance by Matei Gheorghiu and The Korvat Auki ensemble.

Musicians: Kiril Kozlovski and Maritta Manner: piano, Annami Hylkilä: soprano, Julian Leslie French: horn, Josip Nemet and Mia Cojbasic: accordions, The Korvat Auki ensemble


Artist Elina Nissinen, composer Matei Gheorghiu and pianist Maritta Manner
at Recollection 31.5.2014. Photo © Cecilia Damström


Artist Elina Nissinen, photographer Octavian Balea and composer Matei Gheorghiu
at Recollection 31.5.2014. Photo © Cecilia Damström


I was very happy I got to see the piece “Little Memory Stories” a second time, after having seen it once at the RRR!!–Festival two weeks earlier. This time I had time to look at the pictures, as I had read the text the previous time, and I really liked it. An other piece that I liked especially much was Matei’s piano sonata, which can be heardunder this link.

After the concert we of course went for a few drinks, and then a small number of us rounded of the great evening once again at Siltanen’s.


Elina Nissinen, Sergio Castrillón and my friend Leo. Photo © Cecilia Damström

No comments:

Post a Comment