Sunday 12 July 2015

Music for String Orchestra

Saturday 11th of July. Sitting at my parents summer cottage and composing my new piece for string orchestra. It will be premiered by the Caprico Orchestra, conducted by Elisar Riddelin, on the 22nd of August at the contemporary music festival TampeRinging 2015. I have written about 5:30 minutes so far, and now trying to come up with something nice to end the whole piece, which I plan to be about 7 minutes. The whole piece is very much inspired by the Polish composers Witold Lutowslawski and Krzysztof Penderecki, so I will share below some of the music I have been listening to lately.
Lutoslawski’s String Quartet


Lutoslawski’s Third Symphony (one of my all time favorites, also used in the film Shutter Island)








All time classic (in contemporary music): Penderecki Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima



And today’s new discovery (suggested by YouTube! Actually I must say I'm quite impressed  by YouTube for finding this for me):
The Finnish composer Sampo Haapamäki’s accordion concerto Velinikka



No comments:

Post a Comment