Friday 28 March 2014

Tampere Philharmonic: Prokofiev, Gliére, Teinsuu & Bartók


Friday the 28th of March. Went to school for getting my arrangement for mixed choir of “Min Gud” done, which I promised Markus Yli-Jokipii, but wasn’t feeling that well at all. So when I came home I noticed I had a slight fever. I decided I would only go to tonight’s philharmonic concert, and straight home from there… Famous last words!

Tampere Philharmonics programme tonight was:

Fri 28.3. 7 pm Tampere Hall
Anu Komsi, soprano
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 1 ”Classical”
Glière: Concerto for Coloratura Soprano and Orchestra
Tiensuu: Voice Verser
Bartók: Dance Suite

As expected, Anu Komsi was as spectacular as every, and Santtu-Matias Rouvali as popular as always among the audience. The concert was sold out, which before 2013 almost never happened, but now happens every time Rouvali is conducting!

Prokofievs first symphony was as usual quite cute and cheerful, Gliére’s music was rather boring but the fantastic soloist made it pretty pleasant, intermission and then the fun began! Tiensuu’s Voice Verser was spectacular! I loved it! As always I had really high expectations on Tiensuu (haven’t heard bad music by him so far), but still, he managed to top even my high expectations! Such a funny piece and the audience loved it! They absolutely LOVED it! (And when the audience loves contemporary music, I have to say it makes the composer in me very happy!). Bartók was also absolutely great, Rouvali as a former percussionist knows his rhythms. Jouni Kaipainen told us that his friend said to him before Bartók began “Now this is a piece that the audience usually doesn’t particularly like” on which Jouni could comment after the piece had ended “but today they seem to love it!”. And it was true, the audience loved Bartók as well. And Rouvali, as always.

After the concert I joined my friends for the famous “only one glass…”. I got to meet Santtu-Matias Rouvali personally, and I have to say, he is just as nice and pleasant person in real life, like on stage, if not even nicer! And he is a wonderful principal conductor, he goes and talks to everyone from his orchestra, which really creates a great team spirit in the orchestra.

After Tampere Hall’s restaurant Solo had closed we all went to a local bar, from there to Klubi and then still for a night snack… So the famous “one glass…” ended once again at 5 AM. But it was a really great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment