Friday 29 January 2021

FFF No1: Finland must stop burning peat as an energy source.

 “I don't want your hope. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I do. Every day. And want you to act. I want you to behave like our house is on fire. Because it is.” -Greta Thunberg

I would like to contribute to FFF (Fridays for Future) in my own way: by sharing one concrete action per week that YOU can do, and which I have done, for combating climate change. 

FFF week 1: Sign the petition that Finland must stop burning peat as an energy source.


WHY: Burning peat causes about 12% of Finland’s CO2 emissions, which is more than that of all passenger vehicles combined. Burning of peat in power plants causes high CO2 emissions in proportion to the amount of energy generated. In addition to this, the raising of peat from bogs causes significant soil emissions, damages salt marshes and contaminates surrounding water bodies.


WHAT CAN I DO: You can sign the petition that asks the government to transit away from peat as soon as possible, if you have a Finnish social security number. The petition needs 50.000 signatures by February 20th to reach the government. You can also spread information by sharing @luonnonsuojelijaliitto or @naturochmiljö posts (or this post).


Imagine if Finland could cut down their emissions by 12% within a few years, wouldn’t that be fantastic! I signed, have you?


Here is a link to the petition, can also be found in my bio:
https://www.kansalaisaloite.fi/fi/aloite/7020


More information in English (also link in bio)

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/sitra_finland_must_stop_burning_peat_sooner/11413488


P.S. Because I believe it is always best to “take care of your own backyard” first, I will most likely mainly share actions and petitions that have to do with my home country Finland. But I encourage you to look up what the situation is considering similar issues in your home country and look up what can be done about them.



#irtiturpeesta Photo by Marthe Veian



No comments:

Post a Comment