Sunday 6 April 2014

Conducting Class Day Number 4


Sunday the 6th of April. Today was the last day of the conducting course organized by Pirkanmaan Pinna. The teacher Tuomas Hannikainen was so nice that he arrived earlier (at 9.30) for giving me a feedback session in the morning (as I had to miss the one in the evening due to the premiere of the new-music theatre Bus number 13 with my pieces in it). Hannikainen went through basic techniques with me. Once again I was told that my conducting hand is too stiff and it should be more soft and my movements more organic. Well, I feel that is my main problem in everything; I’m faar to tense and should learn to do things more relaxed.  Today we had a few less minutes conducting (so 20 minutes instead of 23), as we had a concert at 15:00.


The orchestra at Pirkanmaan Pinna 5-6.4.2014.
Photo © Cecilia Damström

Anna-Leena Lumme conducting.
Photo © Cecilia Damström
The orchestra at Pirkanmaan Pinna 5-6.4.2014.
Photo © Cecilia Damström

Our teacher Tuomas Hannikainen observing his conducting student.
Photo © Cecilia Damström


After the concert we first cleaned up the venue and put all chairs into place. Then we had an a few hours long feedback session. Hannikainen was very interested in also hearing what we had learnt during the course. We all had learnt a lot so it was hard to know where to begin.

I asked Hannikainen for what I could improve and one of the things he commented was that I should always be very confident in front of the orchestra. He said it was better today (day 4) than yesterday (day 3). He also said it would be good for me to do general technique exercises in conducting. And he reminded all of us that we always have to be positive and inspiring to the orchestra so that they really want to play with us as their conductor, be eager and excited about the music and so will the orchestra be as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment